Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Blame It On My Glands

As far as my endocrine system is concerned, there is absolutely no difference between forgetting to pay my credit card bill and forgetting to turn the oven off. One is a small error which effects only me. The other is a potentially life threatening error which effects my roommate, her cat, our neighbors, and potentially an entire crew of emergency medics. I get the same sweaty, blotchy, bottomed-out feeling when I make any error of any kind. I actually don't make that many serious errors in my personal life, but you can imagine how this particular defect would effect me at work- and especially at a new job. I'm not intellectually prone to stress- I understand that I don't need to spend too much time worrying about small errors as long as I fix them and learn not to make them in future. Unfortunately that understanding does not stop my adrenaline glands from sending my body into panic mode whether I've made a small mistake that no one will know about but me, or a big mistake that will negatively impact everyone. Luckily the errors decrease over time so my days will eventually start feeling slightly less like 8 hours on a plane in turbulence.

1 comment:

  1. I have the same response to my mistakes. Beyond stressful

    ReplyDelete