Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Wasn't I Just Here?

So I'm back to where I was when I first started this blog. I am unemployed. Only this time I didn't quit, I actually have money saved, and I'm actually making progress on getting set up in NYC. Well, specifically it's Brooklyn but I'm just fine with that. Seeing as I live in a place that is a solid three hours from  real civilization with very few convenient public transportation options the prospect of an hour long commute to the city isn't the end of the world. And I might end up working in Brooklyn anyway so what does it matter how long it takes me to get to Manhattan?

Anyway, my point is that yes, I am unemployed but I feel a whole lot better about it than I did when I was in the same situation 8 months ago. I am aware that finding a job in NYC might be tricky but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to end up living under a bridge no matter what happens. Even if I do, summer's coming on so I should be OK. As long as it's not a bridge in New Jersey.

I know that I keep saying I'll get back to my Real Book Project. I will. I just feel a little too stressed about other things to allot any time to it at the moment. When I write, even when it's meaningless schlock, I gain a sense of purpose because writing is something that I might end up doing in a job. The way I see it, I'm keeping in practice. Sure, I'm enforcing a lot of bad habits because of the casual forum, but I'm exercising my writerly self. Singing is a hobby. I like doing it, but I highly doubt that I'll have any job that requires me to know the head of "Angel Eyes". Unless I get into music journalism but I think we can all agree that I don't have the balance for that. Every article would be something like "This band is alright at their instruments but I'm pretty sure they haven't gotten over Nirvana. Isn't it time that we all acknowledge that their actual MUSIC wasn't very good? I mean I get the whole "thing" but seriously it's 2012. Come off it already. And do these guys (the subject of this article, not Nirvana) think their silly mustaches are attractive? Where are the girls who are into this icky aesthetic? Gross. So...decent musicianship...irrelevant genre...gross faces. Next." This would be my article for about 45% of the newer bands I've heard lately. Another 30% would be something like "I'm sorry. I didn't realize that singing on pitch wasn't a thing anymore." And then the rest would probably just turn into articles about Bonnie Raitt, Steely Dan, and dead jazz singers regardless of the assignment.   I don't think I'd be hired as a music journalist.

Exercise is my other priority at the moment. I don't have a problem with the way I look. I just figure the smaller I am the more likely I'll be able to find things on sale in my size. When I had salmonella and cryptosporidium parvum at the same time and dropped down to a size 24 waist I found so many pairs of cheap designer jeans. Then I got my ass back and sold them all to upscale thrift stores for almost as much as I paid for them. I don't think I'll ever get back down to my parasite weight but being a size 6 just isn't working out for me financially. Too many other size 6's. It's basic economics.



Here are some pictures I took on my phone in NYC last week:


 I Was on Bleeker Street. I took a turn towards the water. That's all I know about where this was taken.
 Somewhere..wasn't really looking at street signs.
 There were these theatery looking kids beside me taking very posed pictures and saying things like "Oh you bitch I am going to push you into the water with all the little fishies!" Probably NYU students. Obviously thought they were hilarious. Destined for lives of disappointment.


 In the Alexander McQueen Store Front


 A nice fence in Brooklyn
 Sunburned acquired on March 22nd, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment